"Orange is the happiest color."
- Frank Sinatra
As you could probably tell, I'm loving the orange lip trend. I've actually always loved it. I have olive-toned skin and I always felt happiest and brightest with an orange-red, if not straight orange, lip on.
After creating this orange lipstick compilation I can't help but wonder why the hell I bought all of these. They're so...similar. To my own credit, it did take some time to build up this collection. And they do have some very important differences. Let's explore.
- Nars, Heat Wave: This is by far my all-time favorite lipstick. It's more of a red-orange, however. At first glance it's red, but with a little something. The orange nuances are what make it. That and the fact that this matte lipstick lasts forever. I touch up after a meal, but it's not necessarily because I need to. A good layer of color still remains, I just reapply to get more of an in-your-face hit of color. ALL-TIME FAVORITE
- Laura Mercier Creme Smooth Lip Color, Portofino Red: This looks incredibly similar to the Nars color, but the Nars version is much more matte, as this is more moisturizing and not nearly as long-lasting. Pretty color, but it sits on the lips more than I'd like it to - meaning, one sip of anything and it's basically gone. REAPPLICATION GLUTTON
- Revlon Colorburst Lip Gloss, Sizzle: Game changer. I don't even like lip glosses but this one's color just took my eye and I had to have it. It's great for everyday and is obviously much more sheer than the others. But it still has a great pop of color, which I absolutely love. AND it doesn't have any annoying glitter or feel too gloopy or trap your hair after a gust of wind. Just smooth and moisturizing. Absolutely love this stuff! And it's cheap! SUBTLE BEAUTY
- Revlon Creme Color, Fire & Ice: Lisa Eldridge referred to this classic hue as a "hot tomato" and I totally agree. It's a fantastically pigmented orange-red that has the perfect amount of sheen. Such a great color. And the price can't be beat. Keep up the good work, Revlon. You've made a believer out of me. BEST VALUE
- Stila Color Balm Lipstick, Valentina: I got a Stila makeup palette with a wonderful orange lip color in it yeeeaaarssss ago and could never figure out which color it was so I could buy a full size of it. Well, Lisa Eldridge came to rescue once again and I found it in Valentina. Moisturizing and comfortable like any lip balm but with so pigmented! It reminds me of an amped up version of the Revlon Lip Butters. This practically pure orange color is just exactly what I was searching for. MOST MOISTURIZING
- Stila Longwear Lip Color, Outrageous: A matte crayon that's such a true orange but not as bright as, say, the Hourglass option. Perfect for day! I wore this to dinner with my girlfriends and one of my besties immediately commented on how beautiful the color was. Again, me and orange are like this. *crosses fingers* Outrageous, like the Heat Wave, is super long lasting. Perfect for a neglectful makeup person like myself. And super easy to use since it's in a crayon form! Couldn't be better. EASIEST TO APPLY
- Hourglass Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick, Riviera: This color. Some of you might've seen Jessica Alba's gorgeously bright orange lips at the Golden Globes. If you did, you probably started swooning as hard as I did. The color was so beautiful I immediately went out and purchased it. It's very bright so you gotta be pretty brave to wear this stuff. (I like to pretend I am.) It's certainly the brightest orange out of the bunch. And it lasts probably the longest - holy crap! Even when I tried to clean this stuff off from just swatching it on my arm, it just clung on! I love it. But despite how drying long wearing lip colors can be, this one is surprisingly comfortable. BRIGHTEST
Basically, I can't decide which is my favorite. If I HAD TO pick, it'd be Nars Heat Wave for a reddish kick and the Hourglass for the pure orange color. Oh, I guess it wasn't as difficult as I thought... Least favorite? Laura Mercier. But really only because it majorly lacks lasting power.