Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Nutritious Nutella???

DSC03510
Like basically everyone else in the world, I've gone back and forth between diets for quite some time. Regardless of what "diet" I'm on, however, I never try to deprive myself of too much. Back in the day (when I was young, I'm not a kid anymore, but some days I sit and wish I was a kid again), when I was training for my half-marathon, I was able to restrict myself much more. Then, I was eating around 1500 calories while working out for at least an hour 5-6 days a week. Nowadays, that just isn't happening. 

DSC03506
My problem is basically my tenacious love for food - a love that seems to grow exponentially with every meal or cooking session in the den. I mean, food is just the bee's knees. It's enjoyable, satisfying, a fun means of creative expression, and it doesn't talk...

I guess I call this my "problem" because of the obvious partnership between food and consumption. Lately, my consumption levels have kept pace with the aforementioned love. Further, my newfound sedentary lifestyle (trying to be a lawyer sucks) hasn't helped my waistline, let alone my morale. 

So, as you could've guessed, my jeans and my inability to breathe during my last run have slapped me in the face with reality: I need to stop letting my boyfriend pick places to eat (burgers, pizza, and ice cream, anyone?) and I need to get off my ars. 

Step 1: Find healthy alternatives to the things I love. 

This recipe was really simple and really easy. With only about four ingredients, I was able to whip up a pretty good replica of everyone's favorite: Nutella. This recipe is also really healthy so there's no need to feel guilty about eating this for breakfast, snacks, and dessert. Dates are a big ingredient in this recipe - which are a good source of fiber, calcium, iron, and potassium, amongst other things. It's also good for heart and digestive health, as well as boosting energy. The hazelnuts are also an excellent source of Vitamin E. And last but not least, the cacao powder provides a ton of antioxidants, provides essential minerals like magnesium which helps improve bone health, and increases feel-food neurotransmitters in the brain to make you happpyyy. Oh, and it's vegan!

*puts spoonful of nutritious nutella in mouth*

DSC03491

Don't worry guys, I adapted this crepe recipe and made them with whole wheat flour and almond milk. But... I left the butter. :)


  Follow From the Lion's Den on Twitter Follow on Bloglovin Follow From the Lion's Den on Pinterest Follow From the Lion's Den by Email

1 comment:

  1. Deliciously Ella is such a great blog! The ingredients can be a bit tricky to get hold of here in Italy but so far everything I've cooked from her blog has gone down with rave reviews. It's difficult to stay in shape when you're busy and stressed but well done for keeping on top of it xxx
    Lucy @ La Lingua : Life in Italy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and for your lovely comments!

xo - Christine from The Lion's Den