Yet another perfect way to utilize all those perfect farmer's market finds. I'm so happy to be back in a state where summer never ends.
Summer calls for the beach and fantastic produce. This salad lets you enjoy the latter without embarrassing yourself at the former. Winning.
PEACHY SUMMER SALAD
yield: 1 salad
time: 15 mins (20 mins with chicken)
1/2 Cup peach, diced (half a large peach)
1/4 Cup sweet corn kernels
1 1/2 Cup greens of your choice (spinach, baby romaine, arugula, etc.)
1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
1/4-1/2 tsp dijon mustard
pinch of salt & pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, mustard, and salt and pepper (start seasoning with a pinch each, then after the dressing is done, add more to taste if necessary).
- Add about half a tablespoon to the balsamic mixture and whisk again to start the emulsification. Continuing to whisk, slowly drizzle in the rest of the olive oil. Continue to whisk until it all comes together. It should happen rather quickly. Slowly and gradually drizzling in the oil ensures that the vinaigrette will stay together.
- Either toss the greens in the vinaigrette or drizzle the vinaigrette over the greens.
- Sprinkle the peach and corn over the greens. Add roasted chicken breast, if desired.
- For the chicken: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place a chicken breast onto a baking sheet. Drizzle 1 Tbs oil (canola, vegetable, or extra virgin olive oil work great) over the chicken breast and toss to evenly cover the chicken with the oil. Sprinkle a couple pinches of salt and pepper over the chicken. Roast for 12-20 min depending on the size/thickness of the chicken breast. When done, the chicken will bounce back when poked and the juices will run clear. Slice and serve atop the salad.