Thursday, October 3, 2013

Baked Pumpkin Donuts

1373252_10151854891766702_716851902_o

I'd hate to start this blog by acknowledging what ended up being a so-so recipe, therefore I'm just not gonna acknowledge the recipe. At least not the recipe author... or republisher for that matter. Maybe I'll just say the recipe came from a certain company that allegedly reigns supreme (as far as milled grain is concerned). Don't get me wrong, the donuts are fine. They just aren't necessarily worth the extra calories. (Yes, I count calories. No, I'm not a crazy.) I suppose I should note, however, that the recipe includes nutmeg and ginger. And yields donuts that are unexpectedly bland. At least I got to use my new donut baking pan!

Random gripe of the day:
At noon it was a chilly 60 degrees F. At 4pm, it was a slightly muggy 83 degrees. I dressed for the inevitable backsweat-inducing trek home and ended up freezing for most of the day. Note: I realize that given the impending literal freeze I'm about to face in a few weeks, I really shouldn't hyperbolize. Conclusion: I still find this dressing-for-the-seasons thing a bit challenging. I swear I can be smart sometimes, though.

Random narrative of the day:
For lunch, I went to my favorite spot on campus. I love it because it offers a good amount of healthy options and it's as epicurean as school-operated establishments can get (aside from Au Bon Pain). Most importantly, it's on a separate part of campus, serving as my bustling yet tranquil escape from the pretentious aura of young legal minds. Law kids are weird (myself included), but even worse, talking about class or what stupid thing some tired soul said after being shafted by the Socratic method is not my idea of a good time. (The fact remains that I am often that tired soul.) Tangent concluded.

Another thing. This place has one of my favorite things–cucumber water. Sold. I ordered the quinoa with sweet potatoes, braised kale, and chicken breast. $8 with coffee ain't bad. Especially since some chicken wings at Mickey D's runs about $6 these days. (Have you tried those Mighty Wings yet? You should. They're bomb. I've apparently succumb to the marketing.) Anywho, apparently I missed the memo that Senior Citizens United chose the same spot for its annual luncheon. I'm fairly certain the restaurant sold about 86 bottles of milk after that rush. But to be honest... they were all so cute it kind of added to my enjoyment. Plus, I typically welcome black sheep moments. The judgment eyes from wearing shorts and a t-shirt while everyone else is wearing jackets, not so much. Lesson learned: go back to LA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and for your lovely comments!

xo - Christine from The Lion's Den