Monday, August 11, 2014

Bro Town and Tacos

DSC04047
Typically, those who finish the bar go on "bar trips" to somewhere tropical, exotic, and/or out of the country. My broke ass? I went to San Diego. And you know what? I loved every minute of it.

Opt Out of the Best Western.

Let me tell you all about my major fail. Like I said, I'm a broke ass (not working, or getting student loans, for the past three months has not been very lucrative) so for our first night in SD I booked an affordable room. In this weekend's experience, "affordable" was tantamount to shitty. I was foolishly wooed by the free continental breakfast, then was broken-hearted by the repulsiveness of the room itself. Some friends call me bougie; I call myself moderately germaphobic. I guess I would've been okay had a cloud of cigarette odor not immediately engulfed us as we opened the room door. Foul. I also could have done without the guy in the next room screaming at his wife/gf/Tinder victim throughout the night. (Not that I could sleep anyway, what with the carcinogens ruining my insides.)

It gets better.

We started the day off on a walk around a lake we just happened to stumble upon. There were a lot of people taking advantage of the track circling the lake...running, cycling, walking with dogs or kids. It made me rather disappointed there isn't something comparable in LA. At least nothing comparable that isn't ridiculously inconvenient due to parking/traffic issues....
8.11  
Weird thing though... We came across this weird thing hanging from a tree branch. I can only describe it as a jailhouse art piece. They were cheap razors wrapped in paper, flowers...just weird shit. It was incredibly creepy, but I was intrigued. Almost as intrigued as by this snail that made its way all the way up branches skinnier than the snail itself. Maybe this is only interesting to me... sorry.
DSC04043
tank: Cheap Monday | sunglasses: Karen Walker | shorts: Madewell (similar)
DSC04038
I don't know how many of you watch The Killing, but this lake totally reminded me of that show. Peaceful thoughts, right?
DSC04053

The Broiest Place In the World.

I haven't been to the beach all summer, which is a damn shame, so we decided to head to the beach and figure out what to eat for lunch once we got there. It was a great plan, actually. The closest, and apparently most hoppin', beach in the area was Pacific Beach. Okay, so this probably wasn't THE broiest place in the world, but I'm sure it's top ten. Party city. It was a lot to take in, but I decided to just let sleeping dogs lie and went with it. 
8.10.2  
We stumbled upon a taco place that had a special on 32oz margaritas. Seemed pretty appropriate. We shared a Patron watermelon margarita, blended (because blended is fun), and it tasted nothing like watermelon. The tacos made up for it though, so I didn't mind. 

I got the Surf n Turf tacos - shrimp and carne asada - and they were exactly what I needed in San Diego. I mean, you can't go to SD and not get mexican food. And you can't go to the beach and not get seafood. So surf n turf tacos was a big D.U.H. 
DSC04054
The crappy part of the trip was that the beach was pretty overcast and not all that warm. It was good enough, but the only thing missing from the quintessential southern California day. 
DSC04057
The only thing better than tacos is an afternoon siesta under a tree. 

After our nap, naturally, we ended up at a brewery. We went to Urbn St. Brewery, which I wouldn't necessarily recommend if you're looking for great beer (we didn't eat dinner there). Urbn's beer is alright, but they do have other great beers available. I'd go more for the ambiance, but opt for an alternative. (Stone or Green Flash would've been better options.)

But all in all, it was a great day and I loved every minute of it.
I hope you all's weekends were just as joyful!


          

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and for your lovely comments!

xo - Christine from The Lion's Den