Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Shrimp & Squash Blossom Ceviche

8.6.1
One of my favorite dishes is definitely ceviche. It's fresh, citrusy, and social; simply, a combination of my favorite things. I could eat an entire bowl of this stuff, and with how healthy it is, there's no need to feel guilty when I actually do it. Perfect, right?

8.6.3
This was also a great way to use up some of my farmer's market goodies. Squash blossoms, for example. To be honest, I've never actually worked with them before. The only time I've ever even eaten them were in a quesadilla. The quesadilla was great, but I thought the cheese and heat overpowered the delicate squash blossoms. They ended up being a novelty rather a star ingredient. 

Another, more typical, way of using squash blossoms is to stuff them with cheese and deep fry them. This was my original plan but I've eaten so shitty lately (not to mention all the celebratory drinks I've had this weekend) that I felt way too guilty about eating anything fried. Thus, the decision to use it raw as more of an herb in the freshest dish I could think of. I also served it with homemade, whole wheat tortillas/tortilla chips. Then ate it all. :)
8.6.2


SHRIMP & SQUASH BLOSSOM CEVICHE
Adapted from Food Network
yield: approx. 4 Cups
prep time: 15 min | cook time: 15-25 min
total time: approx. 40 min

INGREDIENTS
   
   1 lb. shrimp, diced
   1/4 lb. cod, diced
   2 avocados, diced
   1/2 small red onion, diced
   1 Cup tomatoes
   1 1/4 Cup lime juice (approx. 8 limes), divided
   8 squash blossoms, chopped
   3 Tbs cilantro, chopped
   1 jalapeño, minced
   salt, to taste

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Clean shrimp, making sure to remove the shells and devein. Clean cod, making sure to remove any lingering bones and discarding the blood line (the reddish area of the meat). Dice.
  2. Combine diced shrimp and cod with 1/2-3/4 lime juice. Let marinate and "cook" for 15-25 minutes until the meat is opaque.  
  3. While the shrimp and cod cook, prepare the remaining ingredients. Combine the avocado, onion, tomatoes, squash blossoms, and jalapeño with the remaining lime juice.
  4. Combine the cooked meat mixture with the rest of the ingredients. 
  5. Add salt to taste and serve with tortilla chips, in tortillas for tacos, or just take spoonfuls to the face. 
Enjoy!


          

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and for your lovely comments!

xo - Christine from The Lion's Den